Building Welcoming Communities
The Community Capacity Building program provides services to increase the capacity of communities to receive, welcome, and integrate immigrants throughout Nova Scotia.
Community and Distance Outreach
- Collaboration among immigrants, settlement organizations, ethno-cultural and mainstream community groups within Halifax, in small centres and rural areas to help build more welcoming communities
- Participation in community networking meetings and events to support welcoming and other relevant initiatives
Welcoming Community Workshops and Presentations
Community Capacity Building Workshops
The Community Capacity Building Workshops aim to improve individual and organizational capacities to welcome immigrants throughout Nova Scotia.
- Pre-assessment and consultation to tailor a workshop and/or presentation to your organizational needs
- Improving general knowledge regarding ISIS’ programs and services available to immigrants
- Improving general knowledge regarding immigration in Canada and Nova Scotia
- Learning from the experiences of immigrants in the settlement process
- Sharing the challenges that the host community faces when welcoming immigrants
- Welcoming as the process of community integration: discussion of systemic barriers, cultural competency, community services, and community support for immigrants
- Geared towards community service providers in the areas of health, legal, education, family resources, community centres, public housing, libraries, police, and refugee sponsorship
Building Cultural Competence
- Building Cultural Competence workshops will be held monthly at ISIS.
- They are dedicated to working in a culturally diverse environment and in a culturally sensitive way, and are open to the wider business community.
- These one half day programs will whet your appetite for more in-depth competence in this area, and do so in an engaging, impactive and safe learning environment.
- They will seek a balance between business partners, ISIS staff and volunteers, and the wider community.
Upcoming Building Cultural Competence workshops (each workhsop takes place from 1:30 – 4:30pm)
- Tuesday, June 18
- Tuesday, July 16
SupperNOVA is a multicultural potluck where community members get together to meet and welcome newcomer families, and celebrate the diversity which immigrants bring to the community. Everybody is welcome!
(See event details at the bottom of the page.)
- Four times a year in St. Andrew’s Community Centre
- Everyone is encouraged to bring a dish of food to share with others
- Entertainment from different cultural groups
- Children’s activities
Neighbourhood Bus Tour
- Introduces newly arrived immigrants to basic services, recreational facilities, and other useful places around Halifax Regional Municipality
- An opportunity for community service providers to meet and welcome newcomers to their facilities
- Twice a year
Coordinator, Community Capacity Building
To volunteer you must first register with us. Check out how to Become a Volunteer at ISIS.
Join us for a multicultural Potluck and help us give a warm welcome to newcomers to Canada!
Everyone is welcome!
Saturday, May 25th
5:30pm – 8:30pm
St. Andrew’s Community Centre
(3380 Barnstead Lane Halifax)
- FREE event with multicultural food and entertainment!
- A tribute to Asian Heritage Month
- Please bring microwave-safe food to share with others!
- No frozen food!
- Wheelchair accessible
For more information call Jacinda Rudolph at 406-8648.
Monday, May 13
1:30 – 4:30pm
ISIS is offering a new interactive workshop for partner groups. The purpose is to build intercultural sensitivity while working with immigrants. The workshops will take place one afternoon every month, from 1:30 – 4:30pm. Seats still available, please book your seat! …